- My former team not only sent me on my way with a lovely goodbye party at the most quaint places in all of Lake Worth (along with the most useful gift certificate of all time for a Born Again Teacher - can you guess?) came to my rescue and totally pimped out my room with the technology I'll need and (perhaps best of all) organizing the labyrinth of wires that encompassed the front quarter of my new room. I
may be "techy" but one thing my new family should probably know about me right away is that I don't/can't do wires or hardware (much to the chagrin of my former team).
- My 16 year old son came to help me every day with cleaning, organizing and helping to input student names into databases to get me ready to Rock-n-Roll on the first day. What a kid! Home from college for the weekend, My 19 year old son and his girlfriend will be there with me tomorrow where they'll take pictures of each student as they come in. Tomorrow is the day before school begins, but students and parents come in to "Meet and Greet" the teachers and I want a photo of each student while they hold a name card under their face (like a mugshot). I don't know; bulletin board? seating chart? thoughts on this?
- My new team has been very welcoming with offers of their valuable time, materials and their warmest sentiments. I already think they're wonderful and I hope soon, I'll be able to give back to them as much as they've given to me.
- My new administration is not really new. The principal, Pat, and I go back 25 years when we taught together at my first school, Coral Sunset, that was also brand-spanking new. We've kept in touch over the years as have many of us from that original at Coral Sunset. Sometimes life hands you an amazing group of friends that stick with you for life and even though you may not see them very often, you'll find each other in that special place in each other's hearts.
- Parents of former students have already contacted me with offers to volunteer. Rumor has it (and I know it's true because I taught at this school before) that the community here is extremely supportive. I know I won't have any trouble finding volunteers to help out as needed.
- Of course my online where I've received oodles of ideas and recommendations for where to go for grants and I've even received messages from companies about easy applications to fill out where you can win money for your classroom. NACD is already sending my for our labs.
View more from .
I wish all my educator friends out there best wishes for a great school year. Those are my plans too.
And remember to ask questions. Lots of questions.