It started as a simple tweet this morning from Jen Wagner (whose tweets and blog posts always give me something to think about). I don't even know what she was referencing, which is sometimes the beauty of Twitter; being able to jump in and out of conversations and make them your own. Perfect for the ADHD in all of us. Anyway, she said "It's the simple things that make life so enjoyable" and I thought about how when we took our son to check in at his college this past weekend there was a bowl of candy sitting in the waiting room. Not just any candy, but possibly the cheapest, stupidest candy ever. They were DumDum Lollipops! 4 colors only that all taste the same and the candy part so small, no wonder our parents were worried we would choke!
Anyway, that made me smile and really brought me back to my youth. That was the candy you got when you deserved a reward at the dentist, hairdresser (huh?), swim instructor and when you got a shot (or worse, those 4 shots in your arm at once).
Immediately I wanted to know what candy brought other people back to their youth. So, I put out a Twitter and Plurk poll.
If you didn't jump in on the conversations, you missed a lot, but as usual, my dear readers I bring the conversation to you! :) Add your thoughts to the comments and let's hear how a simple mention of a certain candy brings back your childhood memories.
- LeaAnn - Nerds or candy cigarettes
- MyCreativeTeam - Fireballs
- JoeBjr - 3Musketeers
- Kimwren1 - Cherry sour balls
- Glo - Strawberry BB Bats
- Tabor330 - Nut Goodie
- Jediger1 - Butterfinger
- JenWagner - paper dots, wintergreen lifesavers (she said they sparked when you ate them, I'll have to try that) and candy corn
- Dwindsor - Wax Lips, Sugar Babies and Boston Baked Beans
- Athorp - Homemade anise suckers
- kdumont - Nik L Nips (wax syrup bottles)
- Edventures - Lik-m-Stix
- TheTechTiger - Candy Cigarettes
- Bell - Paper Dots
- MissGladish - Jolly Rancher sticks and PopRocks
- GingerTPLC - Zotz
- RobinMartin - Wax Lips and wax Coke bottles
- Mike_Bryant - Li'l Debbie Oatmeal Pies (Ok, Mike... not a candy but we'll let you slide being that your wife just gave birth this morning and all...)
- StaceyKasse - Necco Wafers
- MarkWarner - Pink Shrimps (PINK SHRIMPS????)
- AdinaSullivan - Pixie Stix
And then there were some confessions:
What brings you back to your youth?
What will today's kids remember as the candy of their youth?